Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Talking the Talk - part 2


“In everything set them an example by doing what is good.  In your teaching show integrity, seriousness and soundness of speech that cannot be condemned, so that those who oppose you may be ashamed because they have nothing bad to say about us.” Titus 2:7-8


I love Pinterest.  I once saw a post on Pinterest that read, “live in such a way that should anyone speak badly of you, nobody would believe it.”  Sounds like the modern day version of Paul’s words above.  

I am one who is greatly affected by words.  Whether it’s the spoken word or written word, one can either make my day or destroy my week simply by the words used.  Our words are powerful.  The NIV bible has an approximate 727, 969 words, which I like to think of as the longest love letter I have ever received.

God’s words are powerful and convicting.  Rarely do I read a scripture and think to myself, “eh, that didn’t do anything for me.”  And, if I do feel that way when reading scripture, it’s because of my own closed heart. But even during periods of my closed heartedness, God continues to speak love to me.  His word never changes. Even on my worst days, God still pours His love onto me. His talk doesn’t change depending on my behavior.  There will never be a day that I can say, “God didn’t love me today.” He loves me in such a way that I could never speak badly of Him or His love.

Why do you think Paul instructed us to act in the same manner? Because we are the living example of God’s love. Our words and our speech are descriptive of God’s love. And guess who hears us…everyone. 

Do you speak love with your words? If someone treats you badly, do continue to speak with the integrity and soundness of speech that Paul describes? Or does your speech change?  

I am forever having to catch my tongue. My husband, a non-believer, carefully listens to my words. Not because he’s keeping a tally of my wrongs, but because he knows that my character is representative of God.

There have been plenty of times when I have snapped, when I have been hurtful with words, and when I have been completely out of character. Know what hurts the most?  The truth.  When my husband says to me, “…and you call yourself a Christian…”  Nothing will humble me faster than hearing that truth.  Because he’s right.  I call myself a Christian. A disciple of Jesus Christ. But my actions and my claim are not matching up.

How about you?  Are your words matching your claim?

How do you respond when someone sins against you? How do you respond to someone else’s “bad day?”
How would God’s word look if He spoke without love on our bad days? 
Yikes. I know I wouldn’t be motivated to get to know Him or desire to serve Him.
But because He loves me unconditionally, because He speaks to me with love, it compels me to try harder for Him. It motivates me to get closer to Him.

Speak with love today. Especially to those who sin against you. Let your words motivate them; let your speech spark their curiosity about the God you serve.

You represent the living God. You are His voice. You are His deliverer.
He depends on you – His daughter, His joy, His Princess and his most prized possession.
Speak with His love being your motivation, and love with His crown being your own.

Xoxo

(This article was originally written by Jennifer Osler and featured as a guest blog post for GirlfriendsPray.org)
This entry was posted in

0 comments:

Post a Comment