Monday, February 15, 2016

More Than a Daughter



We know that we are daughters of God.  But knowing that you are a child of God is one thing, believing that you are more than just His child is another. 

I was fortunate to grow up with a wonderful father.  He worked hard so that my brother and I could grow up in a good neighborhood, and although money was tight, he made sure we never went without.  As my 16th birthday drew near, I would teasingly tell my dad that I wanted a brand new Mustang, teal in color, with gray interior.  Obviously I knew this was something I would never receive, but that was always my answer when someone asked what I wanted for my birthday.  The day of my birthday, I came home to find a car in my driveway. My dad was standing there with a video camera (one of those huge ones that had to be carried on the shoulder remember those?), ready for my reaction.  Beneath a huge red bow was a Mustang, teal in color, with gray interior. It was not brand new, in fact, it was pretty old. There were areas of varying teal color in the paint and for being a Mustang, it had a super small, and slow engine.  But I didnt notice any of that when I came home that day. I cried into the camera as I kept repeating, we cant afford this, we cant afford this. My dad did the best he could to give me the desires of my heart. He found this old car, asked a friend to paint it for him, and did his best to keep it a surprise until my birthday. In that moment, I knew I was more than just his daughter. I was his treasure.

Thats exactly how our Father in heaven feels about each of us. He wants so desperately to give us the desires of our hearts. It's easy to accept the truth that we are, in fact, daughters of God, but it's another thing to believe that He looks at us as more than just His children.  We are His treasured possessions:

"For you are a [daughter] holy to the Lord your God. The Lord your God has chosen you out of all the peoples on the face of the earth to be his [daughter], his treasured possession." Deut 7:6

Let's face it: our parents didn't get to choose us. They didn't get to piece together our hearts, select our features or map out our complicated DNA. 

But our God carefully shaped each of us...with each individual, He dreamt about and then created the woman He envisioned us to be. He held your heart in His mighty hands and said, "she will do great things for me and I want to give her everything she desires, for she is my treasure." God knew you before the world did, so if there is anyone who wants to give us all that we desire, it's the One who loved us first.


You are more than just a daughter of God. You are His most precious gem, His most treasured possession, and His dream fulfilled!

xoxo

(Article originally written by Jennifer Osler and featured on GirlfriendsPray.org)

0 comments:

Post a Comment